Lawn & Garden
- Prune trees, shrubs & hedges. Cut back all excess and remove any dead / diseased branches.
- Fertilize the lawn. Fall is an ideal time to fertilize as the grass roots will absorb and store the nutrients.
- Store your lawn mower and put away gardening tools in a safe, dry place.
- Drain and store outdoor hoses.
- Take in any outdoor container plants, clean and store all other containers.
- Seal any cracks and apply caulking and weather-stripping wherever necessary. This will prevent heat loss and improve the energy efficiency of your home. Check around doors and windows, any exterior openings such as vents and fans.
- Check air vents to ensure they are clean.
- Inspect your roof. Check for any missing or damaged shingles and do any necessary repairs. Check for gaps around skylights and chimney flashing and seal.
- Inspect, clean and repair gutters and drainpipes. Debris clogged in the gutters can cause water to seep into your basement (if you have one in Texas).
- Look for cracks or splitting in house siding and repair where necessary.
- Close the attic vent to conserve heat.
- Have your furance or heating systems ceaned and serviced. Change filters.
- Vacuum electric baseboard heaters to remove dust. Remove the grilles on forced air systems and vacuum inside the ducts.
- Vacuum bathroom fan grille.
- Vacuum radiator grilles on the back of the refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your humidifier, if you operate one.
- Inspect your sump pump, if you operate one.
- Remove window screens and put in storm windows.
- Remove window air conditioners, or put weatherproof covers on them.